Thursday 24 April 2014

Pie making day

I actually really love making pies. Mostly because everyone loves to eat them. They can pretty much turn every frown upside down!  I made pies for this past years Christmas gathering with my Mom. I had to laugh at her comment when she seen my pies. "I can't believe you can make such nice looking pies!" (she said they were delicious too) I jokingly acted like I was offended but I knew exactly what she meant. Growing up my Mom baked and cooked a lot!  But I could care less to participate especially if I didn't have to. Although I am very thankful that I had no choice in the cooking department a lot of times. I learned to cook, I didn't really have much choice in that matter. When we were a bit older Mom started working out and supper was often left to me. But anyways,  back to the pie topic. So I didn't exactly learn to make pies from my Mom although I'm sure some of it soaked in, indirectly.

So when I say that I make one hell of an apple pie, I'm neither joking or bragging, just simply stating a fact :)

Today I made 6 pies. Two apple pies (I'm soooooooooo glad I canned apple pie filler) and two pie shells for the freezer. And I baked two pie shells so I can make a lemon pie and a banana cream (the banana cream from scratch)  to enjoy today!!!

What's better to do on a rain day??!

Ashley

3 comments:

  1. I never did much cooking growing up either. And I was ok with that.
    But learning to make pies has been on my to do list for years. Not that I've ever tried. But I figure if I can teach myself to bake buns, I should be able to figure out pies too. One of these days! Your pies look great! Do you have a good pie crust recipe to share?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I just use the one on the tenderflake box... I used to have a lot of trouble with my dough breaking apart and not being 'elasticy' when I was rolling it out. I have found that my lard has to be cut into the flour cold - don't let it sit on the counter and become room temperature. Also - use all the liquid the recipe calls for. If it's not rolling out very good, chill in fridge for couple hours and try again. It does take practice. And I taught myself to make buns too, so I'm sure you can teach yourself to make pies. It's actually very easy once you get your groove.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete