Tuesday 27 November 2012

Rest in Peace Grandpa

Today was my Grandpa's funeral. I am glad that it is over but so sad to see him go. Something that comforts me is knowing that because we are a such a large family our memories will never die. I'm sure Grandpa will be thought of everyday and family gatherings will bring forth reminiscing for years to come. At the viewing last night anyone who had memories of Grandpa could come forward and tell them. Many came to mind and I went up and shared a couple. But there were too many to tell because we would have been there all night! Here are some of my memories of Grandpa:

-When you walked in the door his hello would always be followed with a "Have you been behaving?"
-His dry humour which if you did not know him you would most likely be offended. eg. When we told Grandma and Grandpa that we were expecting our first child the first thing that came out of his mouth was, "I sure thought you looked fatter!" ha ha. You never took stuff like that to heart. That was just Grandpa.
-He actually loved to cook. I mostly remember him making soup and it was very good.
-He loved to cruise around in his old red ford truck. To coffee at the local coffee shop, NTL and out to the countryside to see how my Uncle's were making out in the field.
-He loved music. He loved to sing. He loved to play instruments. I remember he had several different little instruments that he played. One I mostly remember is his banjo.
-He loved to talk about farming.
-He loved to watch TV and movies. (in his later years when he was not so mobile and agile anymore)
-This comment kind of relates to Grandma and Grandpa but I always thought it amusing that when Grandpa was supposed to be watching his weight and you would be there for lunch, Grandma still had a full spread out. I think you could show up unannounced at 12pm and there would always be enough food set out for an army. I guess after feeding as family of ten for many many years old habits die hard. Which also leads me to tell that even when Grandpa was supposed to be watching his weight we would always get a phone call a couple weeks after we butchered a pig. Grandma would just be wondering if we had any cracklings left, they would sure love some. ha ha. Very unhealthy food. Basically whats left after the fat is all rendered out over the fire. You fry them in a pan and soak 'em up with some bread or fresh buns. (Mmm childhood reminisce)
-Grandpa always said Grace and all our family functions. I will miss that.

Anyways those are just a few that come to mind right now. I have said this many times and I will say it again. I am so blessed to have had all four of my Grandparents up until just recently. There are not many people in the world who get to spend so much time with their Grandparents. I have been fortunate to even live very close to both sets as well.

 Our wedding August 9, 2008.
 Our wedding.
 Chris & Miranda's wedding May 29, 2010.
 Grandma & Grandpa's 50th Wedding Anniversary.

You will be with us forever and always. Love you lots Grandpa.
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment